Since the Equifax scandal where millions of helpless consumers were victimized after their personal information was stolen by hackers, I have experienced a lot of phone calls and letters in the mail from people I never heard of, claiming I owe money that I don't. The latest was a call from a number originating from Apex, NC.

The caller, a female, mumbled something about SIMM Associates and this was an attempt to collect a debt, blah, blah, blah, the usual threats, finally demanding that I call some toll free number, 866-572-8797, and she gave me some case number.

I have blocked the numbers both on my home phone number and also on my cell phone number but if they are like another company, a real bulldog of a company, Portfolio Recovery, they call from multiple telephone numbers, some are local, others are from toll free numbers. I block each number but they just keep coming again and again.

Preferred solution: Leave me alone!.

I didn't like: Hostile employees.

Comments

These calls are all garbage criminals trying to pull off a scam. Genuine collections will always be furnished in writing regardless of the baloney calls so just go ahead and hang up on them (if you like), demand written records (which is your right under all forms of U.S.

collection laws), ask endless questions and when you can't think of any more, repeat the ones you already asked, or, my personal favorite, my "Hungarian Grandmother" approach where you answer the phone with a screechy high pitched "..AAlllloooo ? NO ! ", and then fail to comprehend anything they say .. "WHA ?

WHO YOU ? "